606 High Street SE
Brightview, or the Smith-Fry House as it is called in history books, is one of the oldest houses in Salem. Built during the settlement era in 1859, it is located at the top of the historic Gaiety Hill district. The home is rural Gothic style, and one of the few historic homes on its original site within Salem city limits. It features 6+ bedrooms and 4 full baths with over 4394sf poised beautifully on 1.13 acres just a few blocks from downtown Salem. Pride of ownership abounds with amazing original quality & craftsmanship from the era. The Family room was originally master bedroom, and Maids quarters are located on the main level with a full bath just behind a glorious remodeled kitchen.
Updates include a conservatory sitting area off the stone terrace, a period-appropriate iron fence around the property, 3 fountains, a whirlpool tub in the master bath, granite showers, and a gourmet kitchen with two stoves and two refrigerators.
The house was built by Joseph Showalter Smith who lived in the house from 1860-1868. Smith was a lawyer who became president of the Willamette Woolen Mill in 1865. The house was a center of capital city politics and social life for many decades. After Smith, the house was briefly the Governor’s mansion when Lafayette Grover owned it. He was governor of Oregon from 1870-1877 and United States Senator from 1877-83. Other owners included George Edes, Sheriff, County Clerk and Mayor, and Daniel Fry, Secretary of State Board of Control during the Depression and early war years. It was Rita Fry who named it Brightview around the turn of the last century.