The Lake Oswego Preservation Society will open the doors of their History Center & Museum on April 8, 2017 from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm. Oregon’s newest, and possibly smallest museum, is housed in the City-owned Iron Company Worker’s Cottage located at 40 Wilbur Street in Lake Oswego’s Old Town Neighborhood. The building has two historic designations: National Register of Historic Places and City of Lake Oswego Landmark.
This year marks the 150th anniversary of the first iron made on the West Coast. The museum’s inaugural exhibit entitled “1867 – 2017 Oregon’s Iron Jubilee: Celebrating the First Iron Furnace on the Pacific Coast” was curated by historian Susanna Kuo and designed by Corinna Campbell-Sack. Displays will include City-owned artifacts, which have never before been on public display, as well as items from the Society’s collection. Correctly guess the weight of pig iron on display for an opening day prize.