Historic Theaters Workshop
There was a time when almost every town had a theater that served as the cultural and economic heart of downtown. Many of these iconic structures faded or closed, but as the Main Street revival has gained energy, so have efforts to bring our historic theaters back to life.
Restore Oregon is leading an effort to restore historic theaters across the state and help them prosper once again. Our initiative started last year with a comprehensive survey conducted by the University of Oregon, and continues through 2017. This summer we are offering three regional workshops for theater owners and enthusiasts striving to preserve and operate theaters in their communities.
Dates and Locations:
July 13th – MEDFORD
413 W Main St, Medford, OR 97501
With a tour of the Holly Theater
July 25th – LA GRANDE
La Grande Library Community Room
2006 Fourth Street, La Grande, OR 97850
With a tour of the Liberty Theater
Each workshop will run from 9:30am to 4:30pm. Additional information will be emailed to you after receipt of your registration.
Who Should Attend: Historic theater owners or operators, non-profit theater organizations, and their supporters.
What We’ll Cover: Challenges, solutions, and information you can put to use to restore or operate a historic theater.
- Overwhelmed by the prospect of restoration? Restore Oregon’s new Preservation Toolkit will help sort it out.
- Economic viability depends on the right use. Movies? Meetings? Performing arts? Learn how a market study can point you toward success.
- Theaters need backers. Hear techniques for selling the dream and building community support.
- Where’s the money? Identify funding sources for theater restoration and how to write an effective grant.
- Secrets of success. Learn from case studies of successful theater revivals.
Cost: $20.00 includes a box lunch
Funding has been generously underwritten by the State Historic Preservation Office and the Oregon Cultural Trust. Scholarships to cover hotel costs are available for those traveling a distance that necessitates staying the night. Scholarship applications are due at least 7 days prior to the workshop.
Registration closes 5 days prior to each workshop.