Archive | Endangered Place

M & N Building, Astoria

Celebrating Five of Oregon’s Most Endangered Places Moving Down the Path of Restoration and Reuse

Five extraordinary members of Restore Oregon’s Most Endangered Places list were launched down the path of restoration and reuse. Congratulations to the M&N Building in Astoria, the Grand Staircase in LaGrande, the Mildred Kanipe House in Oakland, the A.T. Smith House in Forest Grove, and the Oregon Caves Chateau in Cave Junction.  As they graduate [...]
Continue Reading
Vale Hotel

Vale Hotel

Saved from demolition in the 1990s by a band of local citizens, the 1907 Vale Hotel is one of the most prominent buildings in Malheur County, and literally sits along the authentic Oregon Trail. The non-profit Drexel Foundation was formed to restore and reuse the building.  Roof repair and some structural work were completed with the long-range [...]
Continue Reading
Upper Sandy Guard Station

Upper Sandy Guard Station

The Upper Sandy Guard Station Cabin, situated on the Mt. Hood National Forest near Ramona Falls, was built in 1935 to house an administrative guard who was tasked with preventing the intrusion of hikers into an area which was integral to the City of Portland’s water supply. Its uncommon design, including the integration of both [...]
Continue Reading
Wong Laundry

Wong Laundry Building

Wong Laundry Building is significant to Portland’s economic history and to the ethnic and immigration history of both city and state. Designed by Alexander C. Ewart, the two-story masonry structure combining retail on the ground floor and lodging above is a prime example of early 20th century commercial architecture built for the travelers, businessmen and [...]
Continue Reading
DeWitt Museum in Sumpter Valley Railway Depot

The DeWitt Museum

The DeWitt Museum in Prairie City, housed in the National Register-listed Sumpter Valley Railway Depot building, is home to a collection of significant local historical artifacts and serves as an event space and gathering place for locals and visitors alike. The building itself is a rare example of a two-story rural depot, and serves as [...]
Continue Reading
Medford Elks

Elks Lodge

The building was constructed in 1915 for the Benevolent Order of Elks No. 1168 in downtown Medford and has been in continuous ownership by the Elks since then. The Survey of Historic and Cultural Resources Downtown Survey in 1994-95 quotes the National Register Nomination describing the Elks Lodge “as the most distinctive example of monumental [...]
Continue Reading
Concord School, Oak Grove (Photo: Drew Nasto)

Concord School

The Concord School is a landmark in the northern Clackamas County community of Oak Grove. The site has been home to a public school since 1890 and was, until its closure in 2014, a venue for civic events. The school was closed in June 2014 due to budget constraints and related downsizing and consolidation of [...]
Continue Reading
Carousel

Jantzen Beach Carousel

The Jantzen Beach Carousel, a national treasure, was built by C.W. Parker, renowned carver and aptly named “amusement king,” in 1904 in Abilene, Kansas, for the St. Louis World’s Fair. It then moved to Venice, California, for an intermediary period, before arriving at its longtime home at Jantzen Beach Amusement Park in 1928. Jantzen Beach, [...]
Continue Reading
Santiam Pass Ski Lodge

Santiam Pass Ski Lodge

Santiam Pass Ski Lodge is located in the Central Cascades of Oregon and is an integral part of the Three Fingered Jack Winter Recreation Area. It was constructed as a part of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Forest Service policies that recognized the public demand for more outdoor recreation opportunities and the growing [...]
Continue Reading
Primary

Tourist No. 2 (Astoria Ferry)

The wooden ferry Tourist No 2 was built by Wilson Shipyards in Astoria, Oregon, in 1924, for $42,000. It is the only surviving vessel from the once-vital fleet of ferries owned and operated by Captain Fritz Elfving that crossed the Columbia River between Oregon and Washington from 1921 to 1966, completing the last water gap [...]
Continue Reading

Statewide Partner of the National Trust for Historic Preservation