Tag Archives | Corvallis

painted sign on brick for Hotel Julian

The Hotel Julian Apartments – A DeMuro Award Winning Project

On November 13, 2015 Restore Oregon presented the DeMuro Awards to seven extraordinary historic rehabilitation projects. The award is named in honor of Art DeMuro whose redevelopment of historic properties such as the White Stag Block set the standard for quality, creativity, persistence, and business acumen. This is the fourth in our series of posts about […]

Continue Reading
. Undated photo of Sunnyside School with bell tower (Photo courtesy Benton County Historical Society)

What do you know about Sunnyside School?

The journey started with a mid-summer email: What do you know about Sunnyside School? The response added to a high-speed—at least in preservation terms—adventure in negotiations, fund-raising, and stick-to-it-iveness. Corvallis’ century-old Sunnyside School was historically known as Bryant School and Mudflat School due to the surrounding swampy area and muddy roads. Before 1897, a one-room […]

Continue Reading
Whiteside Theater in 1929

Corvallis’ Whiteside Theatre Shines Again

In 2006, an impassioned group of preservationists and theatre enthusiasts refused to sit idly by when developers proposed to gut the Whiteside Theatre—one of Oregon’s grand movie palaces—for a mini-mall and restaurant. Armed with the knowledge that the 800-seat Whiteside would contribute more to the cultural vitality and economic diversity of downtown Corvallis as a […]

Continue Reading
Hallie Ford Center for Healthy Children & Families, Oregon State University, Corvallis (new 2011)

DeMuro Awards Announced for Exceptional Historic Preservation, Reuse, and Community Revitalization

The Astoria Train Depot (1925), Astoria – restored as the Barbey Maritime Center (2013) The Burkes-Belluschi House (1948), Portland – restored as family residence (2011) The US Forest Service Ranger Station (1936), Sisters – repurposed as the Fish Inn/Bike Inn (2011) Furman Hall (1902), Corvallis – rehabilitated for Oregon State University School of Education (2011) [...]
Continue Reading
KnottsOwensBarn_Evening_copy

Knotts-Owens Barn, Corvallis

Knotts-Owens Barn, Corvallis Statistics Built: 1870 Address: 3525 NW Highway 99 Designation: Benton County Landmark News and Updates November 2014 Assessment and as-built drawings completed for barn rehabilitation planning March 2014 Restore Oregon awards $2500 grant for barn assessment January 2014 Sunnyside School moved to property September 2013 50 people turn out for first annual [...]
Continue Reading

Statewide Partner of the National Trust for Historic Preservation