The DeMuro Award honors extraordinary historic rehabilitation projects and compatible infill development across Oregon – residential and commercial, urban and rural, private and public. The award is named in honor of Art DeMuro whose redevelopment of historic properties such as the White Stag Block set the standard for quality, creativity, persistence, and business acumen.
This year’s recipients have been chosen!
Recipients of the 2014 DeMuro Award for projects exemplifying excellence in preservation, adaptive reuse, and community revitalization are:
FIRE STATION No. 7, Portland (1927) – Serving SE Portland’s Buckman Neighborhood, Fire Station No. 7 was one of 24 fire houses designed by Fire Chief Lee Gray Holden, and is said to have been the pride of his career. Decommissioned and long-neglected, it was rehabilitated for office use while retaining its character-defining features, including the fire pole. (Venerable Properties, Emerick Architects, Bremik Construction)
GALLERIA BUILDING / TARGET, Portland (1910) – Known historically as the Olds, Wortman, and King Department Store, the Galleria Building was first saved from the wrecking ball by Bill and Sam Naito. It continued to struggle until the opportunity came along to return it to its department store roots as an urban Target store. Historic features were restored, even as modern retailing systems were incorporated and a sleepy corner of downtown was revitalized. (Bill Naito Company, FFA Architecture and Interiors, and KPFF Engineers)
THE IRVINGTON TENNIS CLUB, Portland (1912) – Beautiful and functional, a reconceived addition to the original Ellis Lawrence-designed clubhouse is highly compatible with the historic main building and the surrounding National Register-listed neighborhood. (Irvington Tennis Club, Scott | Edwards Architecture, P&C Construction)
MEIER & FRANK DEPOT/VESTAS N. AMERICA HQ, Portland (1927) – Empty for over a decade, a sad landmark on the edge of Portland’s Pearl district has been transformed into 21st century workspace. Now headquarters for Vestas North America, Urban Airship, and Gerding Edlen, this project offers LEED Platinum proof that historic preservation and sustainability go hand in hand. (Gerding Edlen, GBD Architects, Skansa Construction)
WHITESIDE THEATER, Corvallis (1922) – An icon in a historic downtown struggling for a cultural and economic renaissance, the Whiteside had gone “dark” for many years until an intrepid band of volunteers tackled a structural rehab and restored the 1950s marquee.
(Whiteside Theater Foundation, Andrew Pearson Architecture, Bob Grant Construction)
Take a virtual tour of the 2013 DeMuro Award Recipients!